Permits currently available online:
• Residential Water Heater Replacement (WHTR)
• Residential Re-Roof (WRFR)
• Residential Air Conditioner and Furnace Replacements (WACR)
• Minor Residential Electrical, Mechanical & Plumbing (WMSR)
Please read the statements below about the permit you are interested in obtaining. You can only obtain these permits online if you meet the criteria stated. Upon acceptance of your online application you will be emailed your permit along with any pertinent bulletins.
Please also make sure that you check with your home owners’ association, if applicable, for any rules or restrictions that might apply to you.
Other minor permits will be available in the near future.
Additionally, some minor residential projects do NOT require permits, these include:
• Fences less than 7 feet tall.
• Retaining walls under 4 feet, unless supporting a surcharge
• Replacement of toilets, sinks, garbage disposals and dishwashers
• Replacement or repair of fixed electrical appliances
• Installation of low-voltage lighting or telecommunications lines
• Windows being replaced in the same opening
Please call 949.724.6313 or logon to the City’s Website and go to Building & Safety, “Permits Not Required” at www.ci.irvine.ca.us for more detailed information.
SMOKE DETECTOR REQUIREMENTS:
One- and two-family homes must be retrofitted with smoke detectors when a building permit is issued for work that is valued at $1,000 or more, this includes re-roofing and attached-to-the-home solid roof and lattice-style patio covers. Please see your job card for more details.
RESIDENTIAL WATER HEATER REPLACEMENT PERMIT:
All water heaters higher than four feet shall be anchored or strapped per State guideline and/or manufacturer’s instructions in order to resist earthquakes. Please see Information Bulletin number 171 for more details. This bulletin will accompany your permit.
RESIDENTIAL RE-ROOF PERMIT:
All new roofing material must be Approved Class A Rating. The additional weight on the roof, if any, cannot be more that 4 psf, however, you may deduct existing material from the weight requirement. Re-Roofing Questionnaire form 66-28 with attachment will accompany your permit. You must have this filled out prior to the first inspection. You must also obtain approval from your Homeowner’s Association, if applicable, prior to doing the work.
RESIDENTIAL AIR CONDITIONER and FURNACE REPLACEMENT PERMIT:
This permit is for residential air conditioner and furnace replacements only. The new condensing unit must be in the same location as the existing unit and be at least 2 feet from any property line. You must also obtain approval from your Homeowner’s Association, if applicable, prior to doing the work.
SMALL MISCELLANEOUS RESIDENTIAL ELECTRICAL, PLUMBING, MECHANICAL, OR COMBINATION PERMIT INCLUDING FURNACE REPLACEMENT:
This permit is for small, residential new electrical, plumbing or mechanical items, or combinations of new electrical, plumbing or mechanical items. You are limited in the scope of work as no plans are required to be reviewed. Note: Permits for electric vehicle charging stations cannot be obtained online. You are allowed up to:
• 10 electrical fixtures and/or outlets, indoors or outdoors (see Residential Kitchen Lighting Worksheet/WS-5R which will accompany your permit. Lighting in bathrooms, garages, laundry rooms and utility rooms must be either high efficacy or shall be controlled by an occupant sensor.)
• 4 plumbing fixtures, e.g. toilet, sink, drain, faucet
• 1 to 5 gas outlets (Underground Metallic Gas Piping is Prohibited)
• 1 sewer connection
• 5 grilles and ducting for AC/heating
• 1 Furnace replacement (must be in same location as original)