Nestled in the heart of Bommer Canyon is part of the old Irvine Ranch Cattle Camp. Some of the original structures exist today, adding to the rustic feel of the Canyon. Bommer Canyon is also an important preservation area for many local plants and wildlife, including several endangered species. The cattle camp area is available for rental. Click here for map & directions.
Bommer Canyon is the perfect location for your next special event. This rustic, former Cattle Camp is a wonderful setting for parties, company picnics, weddings, family reunions and campouts. The fifteen-acre facility includes picnic tables sheltered by a lush sycamore canopy, a covered stage area, a barbecue pit, a large Chuck Wagon suitable for food preparation and service, a sand volleyball court, horseshoe pits, a fire ring and lots of open space.
For availability and pricing information call Facility Reservations at 949-724-6620.
Click here for information regarding renting facilities and to complete an application.
For general information or to schedule a walk through of the facility click here.
Please note: Bommer Canyon's Reservation Season is April-October. As of November 1, 2013 there are no weekends available in May 2014. For other date options please contact Facility Reservations at 949-724-6620.
Photos of Events at Bommer Canyon
Open Space Permits
Access to Bommer Canyon Trails may is granted through an Open Space Permit process. For more information about environmental programs in Irvine's open spaces, click here.
contact the web editor
History of Bommer Canyon
In 1837 Jose Andre Sepulveda founded Rancho San Joaquin, land that contained Bommer Canyon. The Flint – Bixby Co., of which James Irvine was a silent partner, purchased a large portion of Rancho San Joaquin, including Bommer Canyon, in 1864. In 1867 James Irvine became sole owner. As part of Irvine Ranch, Bommer Canyon served as the center for the Irvine Company’s cattle operation for more than half a century.
The City of Irvine purchased Bommer Canyon from the Irvine Company in 1981 – 82 with state grant monies from the 1974 Bond Act. Since that time Bommer Canyon has been utilized for special events, including picnics, campouts and weddings.
Equestrian portrait of Don Jose Andres
Sepulveda by Henri Joseph Peneon.
Oil on canvas, circa 1856. Bowers Museum.